Monday, March 24, 2014

Sowing Frenzy!!

I'm so greedy! I bought sooo much seeds at Ji Mei Flower Shop down at Thompson and Giants and a few other stuff like soil, fertilizers and tools. How can you possibly resist the diversity of colors and ideas that you can do with these flowers!
So I added Livingstone Daisies, Portulaca, Dahlias, Zinnia Lilliput, Gold Medallion, Lavender, Pink Sun Flower and Cactus Mixed into my collection. All of them planted except for the cactus since it requires "their" own type of soil.
This time I placed them in peat pots that I purchased at Ji Mei at 9.90$ for 36 tiny pots. And because I'm new into gardening, I've never done transplanting to any plant. I was so afraid to damage the roots so I got the peat pots to facilitate the work. After doing some research through the Internet, peat pots are pots that comes in various shapes and sizes that are made with sphagnum moss peat and wood pulp fibers that are excellent for water absorption to help keep your soil and seeds moist. What I like about it, is the fact that you can just place the whole peat pot into the established pot that your plant will spend the rest of his life in. The roots of your new plant can still penetrate the walls of the peat pot! So It's a pretty good way for beginners to start sowing their seeds and not needing to worry about root damaging during the process of transplanting. Cool, huh? 


I bought a set of 3 mini gardening tools at Giants for 3.95$ and great tools for plant thinning just in case you're not using peat pots. But I bought mine just because it's cute...



After sowing them in their own little pot, I gently sprayed water and applied a bit of flowering fertilizer from Zagro and then leave them on my kitchen windowsill. 

My husband planted this beautiful Cherry Tomato plant from seed a few weeks ago, and look how much it grown! But I'm facing a bit of a headache now... It's infected with mealybugs! These bugs were responsible for the damage they caused to my chili plant that ultimately died. And It would be a pity If this beautiful tomato plant will end up in the garbage bin. So I applied a concentrated pesticide from IJO (It's Just Organic) that It's specially formulated to prevent and repel these annoying bugs by mixing 500ml of water with 1 teaspoon of pesticide and sprayed all over the leaves and roots and, of course, directly on these bugs. Let's see how will it turn out tomorrow!



Here are the photos of the pesticide that I used on my tomatoes and the foliar fertilizer that I used on my seeds. 
IJO costed 7.90$ and the fertilizer, 9.80$ and both purchased at Ji Mei flower shop.






No comments:

Post a Comment